Throughout the year, the Squam Lakes Association offers free programs open to the public on a variety of nature and conservation related topics. The Adventure Ecology programs are presented by the Lakes Region Conservation Corps members who spend their year on Squam performing important conservation work in support of the Association's mission. For more information about the SLA's educational programs please click here or call our office at (603) 968-7336.
2018 Summer Adventure Ecology Programs:
- Getting Buggy With It: Using Tiny Critters to Understand Water Quality (Friday, June 22nd)
- Wetland Wonders (Friday, June 29th)
- Survival Skills 101 (Friday, July 6th)
- Plants for Pollinators! (Friday, July 13th)
- What Scooped out Squam?: An Overview of the Geology of the Squam Lakes Region (Friday, July 20th)
- Plants of Chamberlain Reynolds (Friday, July 27th)
- Bats on the Brain: The Secret Life of Airborne Mammals (Friday, August 3rd)
- Fungi Safari (Friday, August 10th)- Registration Closed (Program Full)
- SLA Island Excursion (Friday, August 17th)
- Beyond Big Squam: Kayak Excursion and Ecological Exploration of White Oak Pond (Friday, August 24th)
Lakes Region Conservation Corps
The Lakes Region Conservation Corps (LRCC) is a 22.5 week AmeriCorps service program that develops skills and experiences for conservation professionals. LRCC members are the driving force behind the Squam Lakes Association’s conservation efforts. The program provides hands-on conservation work experience and numerous certifications over a broad range of areas, which ensures that LRCC members are capable of independently approaching a variety of tasks in the environmental conservation field. Members remove invasive species from the Squam watershed, manage and act as caretakers at our backcountry campsites, maintain the SLA’s 50+ miles of trails, educate the public on local and regional conservation initiatives, spearhead reports on conservation efforts, lead SLA volunteer crews and ensure the daily functioning of the Squam Lakes Association’s programs. Click here to learn more about the program.