Lakes Region Conservation Corps
About the LRCC AmeriCorps Program:
The Lakes Region Conservation Corps (LRCC) is an AmeriCorps service program that develops skills and experiences for conservation professionals. LRCC members are the driving force behind many of the conservation efforts of New Hampshire's Lakes Region. The program is based out of the Squam Lakes Association with host sites at the Green Mountain Conservation Group, Squam Lakes Conservation Society, Lakes Region Conservation Trust, New Hampshire Lakes, Lakes Region Conservation Trust, Newfound Lake Region Association, and the Lake Winnipesaukee Association. The program provides hands-on conservation work experience and certifications over a broad range of areas which ensure that LRCC members are capable of independently approaching a variety of tasks in the environmental conservation field. Members remove invasive species, maintain trail networks, educate the public on local and regional conservation initiatives, spearhead reports on conservation efforts, and lead volunteer crews. The trainings, certifications, and experiences also develop important professional skills that are applicable to future careers within any occupational and educational field.
You can read more about the LRCC host sites on the LRCC Host Site page.
Full-Year Versus Half-Year:
The LRCC runs both half-year (22.5 weeks) and full-year (42.5 weeks) programs over the course of the year. Half-year terms of service are available May- October or October- April. Full-year terms of service run from October- August, which allows the members to experience the seasonality of conservation practices in New Hampshire. Host sites are available at different seasons of the year, depending on the needs of the program. To learn more about which host sites accept half-year versus full-year members, please visit our Host Site Descriptions Page.
LRCC members enjoy a variety of benefits, regardless of host-site:
- NH Commercial Boating license
- Wilderness First Aid & CPR Certification
- Living allowance: $200 weekly distributed bi-weekly
- AmeriCorps Segal Education Award of $2,907 (half-year) or $5,920 (full-year) received upon successful completion of program (minimim of 900 hours for half-year/ 1700 for full-year)
- Student loan forbearance on qualifying loans
Other benefits are available dependent upon term of service and host-site:
- AmeriCorps Health Insurance (available to full-year members)
- SSI Scuba Certification (available to SLA AmeriCorps members)
- Weed Control Diver Certification (available to SLA AmeriCorps members)
- NH Safe Boating certification (dependent upon host site)
- Provided housing/ housing stipend (dependent on host site)
- Conservation Easement Monitoring Training (available ato SLCS and LRCT AmeriCorps members)
To learn more about host-site specific benefits, please visit the LRCC Host Site Page.
We select LRCC members who display a great attitude and commitment to the Lake's Region, enjoy hard work, and aren't afraid to get dirty. LRCC members must meet the following minimum qualifications to serve with our host sites. Please see specific host-site decriptions for in-depth details of qualifications being sought.
- Must be 18 years of age by May 22, 2019
- Must be covered by health insurance for duration of program
- Must be competent swimmer (dependent upon host site)
- Able to lift 50 pounds (dependent upon host site)
- Able to carry and use heavy tools while hiking (dependent upon host site)
- Able to hike at least 8 miles in a day (dependent upon host site)
- Able to work independently and with a group
- Available from May 22, 2019 through October 26, 2019 (end date dependent on completion of service hours)
- Must apply online
Must meet the Corporation for National Community Service's minimum requirement
- Must clear all required National Service Criminal History Check
- Must be a high school graduate, GED recipient, or must be working toward attaining a high school diploma or GED during their term of service
- Must be a US citizen, US national, or legal permanent resident of the US