The Squam Conservation Internship gives future conservation leaders the skills and experience needed to effectively move onto the next professional level while at the same time helping the Squam Lakes Association (SLA) with our conservation mission. This unpaid volunteer internship will provide hands-on conservation work experience and certifications over a broad range of activities. Interns will serve as campsite hosts and caretakers at our backcountry campsites, help with the eradication of variable milfoil, perform water quality testing and monitoring, help with public education and outreach projects, perform conservation duties such as shoreline restoration and trail maintenance and construction, meet and greet lake users and educate them about the dangers of invasive species.
Contact Rebecca Hanson with questions or for more information.
New - Application deadline is March 16, 2014 at midnight.
Squam Conservation Interns will receive the following as a part of the internship (Passing certification exams is required.):
1. Scuba diving certification
2. Weed control diver certification
3. Lake Host certification
4. NH Safe Boating certification
5. NH Commercial boating license
6. Basic first aid & CPR certifications
7. Housing with kitchen facilities
8. Travel stipend (intern location dependent)
9. Weekly Food stipend
1. Candidate must be 18 years of age on or before June 1, 2014
2. Have a valid United States driver’s license
3. Be a competent swimmer capable of swimming 500 yards
4. Should have snorkeling experience
5. Ability to carry and use heavy tools while hiking
6. Able to hike at least 8 miles in a day.
7. Available May 21, 2014 through August 21, 2014.