Director of Education - Open until filled
Lakes Region Conservation Corps: AmeriCorps Program - Summer/Fall application will open beginning of January
Environmental Camp Leaders for the Junior Squam Lakes Association (JSLA) - Open until filled
Sailing Instructor for the Community Youth Sailing Program (CYSP) - Open until filled
Access and Grounds Assistant - Filled for 2017
Position open until filled.
The Squam Lakes Association (SLA) seeks a creative, resourceful Director of Education to expand the SLA’s successful youth and seasonal education programming to build year-round opportunities reaching a broad constituency. The new director will join the SLA’s hands-on core staff in implementing a new and ambitious strategic plan for 2017-2021 which includes a new AmeriCorps program, launched in 2017.
The Lakes Regions Conservation Corps (LRCC) is a 22.5 week AmeriCorps service program that develops skills and experiences for conservation professionals. LRCC members are the driving force behind the Squam Lakes Association’s conservation efforts. The program provides hands-on conservation work experience and numerous certifications over a broad range of areas, which ensures that LRCC members are capable of independently approaching a variety of tasks in the environmental conservation field.
Position open until filled
Environmental Leaders guide our Adventure Ecology Programs for campers in grades 3-12. The Junior Squam Lakes Association (JSLA) Adventure Ecology Program focuses on nature, ecological research, recreational skills, and teambuilding activities.Environmental Camp Leaders develop, plan, and implement age-appropriate nature-based activities, including hiking, backpacking, canoeing and kayaking, nature games and crafts. Environmental Camp Leaders supervise the health and safety of campers and must have a strong sense of safety. Must be able to provide leadership for campers and Leaders in Training (LIT). Each session includes one to two off-site campouts on Wednesday / Thursday nights.
- Applicants must be at least 18 years old with a clean driving record
- Have an interest and general knowledge of natural history and/or environmental education
- Working toward a bachelor’s in environmental studies, biology, education or related field
- Must have previous experience working with and enjoy being with children
- Experience creating fun environmental education learning opportunities.
- Experience in outdoor recreation activities (canoeing, kayaking, hiking, rock climbing, backpacking) encompassing strong safety ethic
- Current certification in Lifeguarding, CPR and First Aid or an equivalent current certification is REQUIRED.
- Pass a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) & Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) is required
- Must be available for duration of program (6/11/2018-8/13/2018)
Schedule: Season begins with staff training on approximately June 11, 2018 and ends on August 13, 2018.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m with weekly overnights on Wednesday or Thursday evenings. Some weekend days are required for all SLA staff.
Position open until filled
CYSP sailing instructors provide sailing instruction that emphasizes safety, proper handling of equipment, skill development, and provides an enjoyable experience for all participants. In many cases, the sailing instructor will be first contact that the student has with the Squam Lakes Association. Instructors must be friendly, courteous, and knowledgeable of the rules, regulations, and operations of the SLA Resource Center. Instructors must be enthusiastic about the sport of sailing and seek to expose students to the fundamentals of sailing as well as the importance of the natural environment in which we sail and the basic leadership skills inherent in the sport of sailing. Instructors must demonstrate a commitment to working as a team, be supportive of the efforts of their fellow instructors and follow the SLA’s guidelines in accordance of appropriate attire including personal flotation devices. The Head Sailing Instructor will supervise and lead two Sailing Assistants.
Responsible to: Director of Education
- Hold a current US Sailing Level 1 Small Boat Instructor certification at a minimum.
- Current Red Cross First Aid, CPR, AED & Lifeguard certification required.
- Must have a passion for watersports, the environment, and working with kids.
- Must have a positive, enthusiastic, and flexible attitude.
- Must possess strong problem solving skills and an ability to adapt to changing program needs depending on weather, number of students, number of boats, etc.
- Must be 21 years old with a clean driving record
- Must be available for the entire duration of program: 6/11/2018-8/15/2018
- Teach safety, boat handling and sailing theory to children and adults who are beginning and intermediate sailors.
- Fevelop and follow lesson plans that include dry land and on-the-water drills and inclement weather activities.
- Must have empathy for the students and be able to adapt to their individual needs.
- The instructor is responsible for sign in / sign out records for all campers, reporting all camper injuries and boat damage.
- When scheduled, the sailing instructor will be required to host the Adult Summer Sailing Program on Wednesdays throughout the summer from 5-7:30pm.
- Other duties include care and maintenance of boats and the facility including set up at the beginning of the season and preparing boats for storage at the end.
- On occasion, the sailing instructor will be required to fulfill the duties of a Waterfront Coordinator as needed in coordination with the SLA Resource Center and Boat Rentals Staff. These duties include providing general and on-shore assistance to users and monitor users on the water and provide on-the-water assistance and/or rescue as situations dictate. He/She will also be required to perform administrative tasks such as collecting checks, cash and accepting credit card payments for drop in Wednesday Adult Summer Sailing and performing additional duties as required.
- Maintains and cleans the docks, boats and grounds before and after class
Schedule: Season begins with staff training on June 11, 2018 and ends on Wednesday, August 15, 2017.
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m (unless otherwise scheduled for Adult Sailing) with occasional required evenings and weekend days.
The SLA is looking for motivated and enthusiastic individuals for the SLA Resource Center Staff. Duties of the access and ground position are varied changing day to day and hour to hour. Below is a list of possible duties on any given day.
- Process boat rental reservations, liability waivers, and collect boat rental fees;
- Inspect and maintain rental craft and equipment;
- Instruct customers in rental craft orientation; ensuring safety practices are adhered to;
- Monitor the boat ramp inspecting watercraft entering and exiting the lake for invasive species (i.e. Variable Milfoil, Zebra Mussel), while informing/educating boaters about invasive species;
- Greet visitors and provide them with information regarding the Squam Lakes area, the SLA and SLA programs, while running the small onsite store, selling books, maps, and collect parking fees;
- Maintain the grounds and waterfront area of the Resource Center;
- Perform other miscellaneous tasks as required.
- The successful applicant will report directly to the Director of Operations and support the needs of the Executive Director, SLA Board and Committees. We are looking for three individuals (two full time and one part time).
- Applicant must be 18 years of age or older
- Have a valid driver’s license
- Available to work weekends
- Have good communication skills
- Have a pleasant demeanor
- Ability to work with others as a part of a team
- Be a self-motivated individual capable of working on projects independently
Compensation is $8-9 per hour.
Hours: Part-time position ~24 hours per week.
Dates: Memorial Day weekend-(5/26) - Labor Day Weekend-(9/5) (These dates are flexible for the right candidate) (This position is run 7 days a week until Labor Day when it becomes a weekend only position until Columbus Day)
Application open until postilion filled